[Savannah-hackers] Re: GNU shell account?

From: Alex Lancaster
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: GNU shell account?
Date: 15 Oct 2002 21:41:28 -0700

[...]

Loic Dachary <address@hidden> writes:

LD> We (Savannah & subversions maintainers) have a policy of granting
LD> shell accounts to people who help maintain the Savannah &
LD> subversions machine. I (Savannah & subversion maintainer ;-) have a
LD> personal policy of getting to know each person who has a shell
LD> account on Savannah and remember for which reason it is so. So
LD> that, at any given time, I can browse the /etc/passwd file and spot
LD> someone who has a shell account for no specific purpose.

LD> Of course there may be exceptions. We would very much appreciate if
LD> you could give us a hand in maintaining Savannah &
LD> subversions. There are many ways to do that, the first of which is
LD> to browse the mailing lists (full of requests) the bug report and
LD> support request web pages (full of bugs and requests ;-) and fix
LD> whatever you can. Would you be willing to help us in this way ?

Folks,

Sorry for the delay in replying, mostly out of sync with the timezones
involved.

Sure, I'm certainly willing and happy to help out where I can.  I've
had a fair bit of experience with setting up/maintaining CVS servers,
but I'm not a guru, but I know enough lore to be able to fix some
common gotchas that happen to CVS as a result of things getting
botched on the server (getting rid of stale lock files,
moving/renaming repositories etc.), so I'm sure I can help out at that
level.

I will consult the trackers (Support and Bugs), and will fix whatever
I can find that is broken on the CVS server.

NF> Of course, you're absolutely right Loic. You know that I try to
NF> help out when I can (I've been quiet lately because I've been busy
NF> with fee earning work).

NF> One of the things that perhaps doesn't reach your radar is that
NF> the java projects largely get on and fix their own problems,
NF> partly because I have a shell account on subversions. We don't
NF> often need to bother the savnnah admins. We are beginning to think
NF> about more CVS integration between projects and Alex is part of
NF> that effort.

Indeed, we were looking at being able to checkout modules across
different CVSROOTs (e.g. classpath and cp-tools) using the modules
setup, which I'm not sure is possible in quite the way we had
hoped/intended, but there are several possibilities that might realise
the same end.

NF> You're email has prompted me to note down some thoughts I've been
NF> having about my own role, here they are.

NF> I find it difficult to track some savannah issues. I'd be happy to
NF> do more CVS maintenance because I can do most CVS things quickly
NF> and easily. I'd be happy to answer more user questions about CVS
NF> because I can do that quickly and easily as well.

NF> I know that CVS is one of Alex's area of expertise. Maybe we could
NF> find a way of getting more of the CVS problems to us? Is there
NF> some tracking tool where a CVS category could be setup?

As far as I can see there are CVS categories under both "Support":

http://savannah.gnu.org/support/index.php?group_id=11&set=custom&_assigned_to=0&_status=1&_category=10002&SUBMIT=Browse

and "Bugs":

http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/index.php?group_id=11&set=custom&advsrch=0&msort=0&report_id=100&category_id=114&bug_group_id=0&assigned_to=0&status_id=1&SUBMIT=Browse&chunksz=50

perhaps we could streamline this and suggest that all CVS problems be
always submitted as a "Support" request, and if it's a bug in the
server itself, or the software (as opposed to a transient, fixable
problem like a stale lock file), then we open it as a bug.

NF> I've heard rumours that you're talking about using
NF> PostgreSQL. I've got quite a lot of pgsql experience and I'd be
NF> happy to give you some admin help (again, because I can do it
NF> quickly).

NF> Another thing I might be able to help with is where native english
NF> speaking is required for drafting important messages. I've seen
NF> you critised a few times for this (unjustly imho). I'd be happy to
NF> draft stuff for you when you need it in prosaic english.

I could help out here, too.  I had filed a couple of bug reports about
some typos/grammatical issues on the Savannah webpages, which Mathieu
helped fix.

NF> And one day, I'm going to get to grips with the PHP stuff /8->
NF> Alex, I strongly suggest you get as involved in the
NF> savannah-hackers mailing list for a time. It's a good way to get
NF> to know the other admins on savannah (including Loic).

I have subscribed to savannah-dev as suggested.

By the way, it looks like savannah-dev was archived on GMANE at one
stage (but it was stopped in April/May), was archiving for
savannah-dev at GMANE requested to be switched off?  Could it be
re-enabled?

I was hoping to subscribe to the mailing list via NNTP/GMANE and
remain subscribed to the list (with delivery disabled), because it
helps keep my bandwidth and diskspace down (I like to keep all my
e-mail, but I'm subscribed to over 15 lists!)

Cheers,

Alex
--
  Alex Lancaster | Free Software Developer:  savannah.gnu.org, sourceforge.net