[Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of Macrosoft Desktop Environment - sav

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of Macrosoft Desktop Environment - savannah.gnu.org
Date: 16 Oct 2002 14:30:58 +0200

address@hidden said:

> A package was submitted to savannah.gnu.org
>
> Bruce Bates <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
> License: gpl
> Other License:
> Package: Macrosoft Desktop Environment
> System name: macrosoft
> Type: GNU

> My project is called the macrosoft desktop environment. The goal is to be a
> true mircosoft clone in all its plendor and glory. The idea behind this
> project is simple. Others have claimed they have a microsoft clone, the have
> desktops that look and act just like microsoft, but in reality not one of
> them due. I have studied and used countless \"clones\" and found they are all
> lacking something. Our project is to look and feel just like windows, we want
> people to honestly be able to forget that they are on linux. We want to go to
> the extreme steps of doing something only microsoft does and that is set
> standards, we also want to make it as time goes on so that people can rely
> solely on our system software instead of the \"popular\" software of other
> desktops. Not to say they still can\'t use other software but in the ideas of
> microsoft \"why use something else when what you need is already here\". Our
> ultimate goal is to be the next major linux desktop. This project is
> currently under development but has no download site of any kind. I was
> recomended here when sourceforge refused me because of the name \"macrosoft\".

I'm sorry but we cannot decently accept this name too.
If your software was not particulary related to Microsoft ones, it
could ok. But according to your description, it's a strong potential
legal issue.

If you agree to choose a name less confusing, more neutral, please
feel free to resubmit.

Another point is on Savannah we do not host collection of software
(such as distros) but softwares itself. I currently cannot figure out
if by desktop you mean a particular software and package or an
assembly of softwares and packages.
For instance, KDE is an assembly of package. To be hosted on Savannah,
a project would be registered for each package, with eventually a
project for coordination.

Finally, we would like to get a tarball with the code as it
now exists - make it available to a temporary URL
(and add this url to your description while submitting
the project) or sent by mail (if < 1MB)?

We want to help you fix potential legal issues.
For example, in order to release your project under
the GPL you should write copyright notices and copying
permission statements at the beginning of every source code
file, following the advice of
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.html

Could you resubmit your project once it's done?
You can resubmit your project with ease by copying
the big re-registration URL provided in the mail
you received  at submission

 << GPG Key  << http://gpg.coleumes.org              <<