[Savannah-hackers] submission of duplicity - savannah.nongnu.org

From: bescoto
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of duplicity - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 14:24:22 -0400

Ben Escoto <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License:
Package: duplicity
System name: duplicity
Type: non-GNU

Duplicity is a new backup program currently in alpha status. It incrementally
backs up files and directory by encrypting tar-format volumes with GnuPG and
uploading them to a remote (or local) file server. In theory many remote
backends are possible; right now only the local or ssh/scp backend is written.
Because duplicity uses librsync, the incremental archives are space efficient
and only record the parts of files that have changed since the last backup.
Currently duplicity supports deleted files, full unix permissions, directories,
symbolic links, fifos, etc., but not hard links.

Duplicity also includes the rdiffdir program.  It is an extension of the rdiff
utility (included in librsync) to directories.

It already exists and you can download the latest distribution at
http://rdiff-backup.stanford.edu/duplicity/duplicity-0.2.0.tar.gz

Other Software Required:
python v2.2 or later, librsync (see http://sourceforge.net/projects/librsync)

Other Comments:
This is a project similar to (and also a bit like the opposite of)
rdiff-backup.  I am the author of both programs.  Savannah currently hosts
rdiff-backup, but I only use the mailing list feature.  My plan is separate
more clearly the two projects, and try out CVS hosting for duplicity (the
smaller, less popular project).  If that works out well I will move the
rdiff-backup CVS here also.

So it would be convenient for me, and probably others, if duplicity had an
account here, as it is closely related to an existing Savannah project.  Thank
you for any consideration.