[Savannah-hackers] submission of Programming from the Ground Up Book - s

From: johnnyb
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Programming from the Ground Up Book -
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 16:32:29 -0500

A package was submitted to

Jonathan Bartlett <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: fdl
Other License:
Package: Programming from the Ground Up Book
System name: prggrndupbk
Type: GNU

This project is an introductory programming book.  However, unlike most
programming books, this one uses assembly language to teach programming.  The
reason for that is to get the programmer acquainted with how the machine itself
actually works.  This book is meant to give the programmer a firm mental
understanding of how a computer works before going on to other parts of
computer science.  This book is _not_ meant to teach the how to expressively
implement ideas using computers.  That is left to other excellent works such as
\"Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs\".

The PDF of a fairly recent version is available at

This book could be considered a preamble to \"The Art of Computer Programming\"
as it gives enough background in how the computer works so that a user could
understand most of what Donald Knuth is saying.

This project will be released under the GFDL, although the version on the
previous URL does not have the license information.  I will attach the GFDL
license before uploading to Savannah.

Other Software Required:
Norman Walsh\'s DocBook style sheets
DocBook DTD
tetex (tex, latex, dvipdf)

Other Comments:
I eventually plan on publishing this book.  For more information, contact me at
address@hidden  As far as it becoming a GNU project, I am indifferent.  I love
the GNU project, but I am unsure what part this book would play in it,
especially given that it is Linux-specific.  In addition, it is in DocBook
instead of Texinfo, although I believe I can covert it.