[Savannah-hackers] Re: Abandoned project (gSatellite).

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Abandoned project (gSatellite).
Date: 11 Dec 2002 13:01:35 +0100

"Jaime E. Villate" <address@hidden> said:

> On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 04:47:38PM +0100, Rudy Gevaert wrote:
> > Mathieu Roy wrote:
> > > So we shouldn't remove project until we are sure that project are
> > > still available somewhere else.
> >
> > In fact, people who mail us and ask to remove a project do this out of
> > good spirit.  They do not wat to use space (that isn't used any more)
> > that could be used for other projects.
> >
> > Imho we should only answer somethink like this:
> > Your project may stay on our servers as it can benefic some one else and
> >   it doesn't take up our resources.
> >
> > We have marked your project abandoned.
>
> OK, that reply seems very similar to the one Mathieu gave yesterday, which I
> agreed with. Then comes the next question: what if the author insists that the
> project does not have any new source code and is of no use?

If we think that there an important amount of code and we feel it
shouldnt be wasted, IMHO, we should simply remove the author from the
developers list and add a note saying that the project is no longer
maintained.

If someone found the project interesting, he will be able to continue
it, if someone want to get a part of the sources, he will be able to
browse the CVS.

Finally, it's just like closing the account, as requested, and
reopening it to host the already released code, as we may do since all
the project registered on savannah is released under a license which
permit that.