[Savannah-hackers] submission of Analaca Natural Language Computing Age

From: dapatrick
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Analaca Natural Language Computing Agent - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 12:13:57 -0500

D. Anthony Patrick <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: lgpl
Other License:
Package: Analaca Natural Language Computing Agent
System name: analaca
Type: non-GNU

The Analaca project provides a natural language computing agent, or rather, a
framework for building an autonomous computing agent using speech as its
primary user interface for command entry and response.  The project will define
an API providing methods for the following:  accessing permanent data storage,
a \"brain\", containing past parameters and success/fail data for specific
tasks;  speech recognition and synthesis abstraction for available
license-compatible engines providing these services;  developing modules to
execute specific tasks, some of which will be developed by core Analaca
developers, though many will be contributed by the community (hopefully).  At
this point, \"artificial intelligence\", as in the ability of Analaca to figure
out how to do new tasks on its own, is not planned, though it is welcomed.  It
is currently limited due to a lack of expertise in AI by its primary developer.

Other Software Required:
Planned support for CMU\'s Sphinx2, which _does not_ depend on Java,
(http://www.speech.cs.cmu.edu/sphinx/) for speech recognition and CMU\'s Flite
(http://www.cmuflite.org) and Edinburgh University\'s Festival for speech
synthesis.  Support for the native OS TTS in Mac OS X and Microsoft Windows may
be added but will not be recommended or automatically installed in accordance
with the rules of this site.

Other Comments:
Starting a company offering support for Analaca would be great, but I\'m not
planning on it right now.  I\'m more interested in getting it running myself so
I can check mail and read slashdot while I\'m washing dishes.  I\'m also hoping
that it can help get me in to CMU as a transfer student to finish my undergrad,
and possibly meet, and/or work in the lab(s) of, Kevin Lenzo and Alan Black.
That is my motivation.  I\'d also like to meet RMS.