[Savannah-hackers] Re: [Reinhard Zierke <address@hidden>] Re: AUC TeX c

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: [Reinhard Zierke <address@hidden>] Re: AUC TeX changes
Date: 18 Dec 2002 13:48:52 +0100

address@hidden (David Kastrup) said:

> Mathieu Roy <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > According to me, rsync or http is a good possibility to maintains
> > mirrors.
> >
> > I do not really understand why it's said that "HTTP mirroring
> > basically". I used software like httrack several times succesfully,
> > and it's free software. Also, wget is generally doing it works
> > correctly. For instance I tried
> >    wget --mirror http://savannah.nongnu.org/download/auctex/beta.pkg/
> > and the result seems fine. Adding two option more should be fine.
>
> You have not actually tried this through, right?
>
> Here is a transcript which I aborted with C-c before it got too out
> of hand.  All sort of crap I did not ask for gets transferred, and
> wget merrily walks _up_ in the directory tree to get even more.

Actually, I tried it.

It's perfectly normal and correct that wget walks _up_ in the
directory tree to get ... data shown in this directory. As for instance
icons shown by apache when you list directories.

Remember that wget copy everything, not only tarball and dirs.

But wget have many option, and the following options should be really
usefull to handle this easily (see man wget)

       --no-host-directories
           Disable generation of host-prefixed directories.  By default,
           invoking Wget with -r http://fly.srk.fer.hr/ will create a struc-
           ture of directories beginning with fly.srk.fer.hr/.  This option
           disables such behavior.

     --cut-dirs=number
           Ignore number directory components.  This is useful for getting a
           fine-grained control over the directory where recursive retrieval
           will be saved.

           Take, for example, the directory at
           ftp://ftp.xemacs.org/pub/xemacs/.  If you retrieve it with -r, it
           will be saved locally under ftp.xemacs.org/pub/xemacs/.  While the
           -nH option can remove the ftp.xemacs.org/ part, you are still stuck
           with pub/xemacs.  This is where --cut-dirs comes in handy; it makes
           Wget not ``see'' number remote directory components.  Here are sev-
           eral examples of how --cut-dirs option works.

       --directory-prefix=prefix
           Set directory prefix to prefix.  The directory prefix is the direc-
           tory where all other files and subdirectories will be saved to,
           i.e. the top of the retrieval tree.  The default is . (the current
           directory).

       -A acclist --accept acclist
       -R rejlist --reject rejlist
           Specify comma-separated lists of file name suffixes or patterns to
           accept or reject.

You can download the directory where you want, without any html or
image files.