[Savannah-hackers] Re: Questions about the rules for Savannah projects

From: Stuart Ballard
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Questions about the rules for Savannah projects
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2003 11:13:27 -0500

Mathieu Roy wrote:
Hi,
Could you, before uploading stuff files Savannah, remove/broke the
non-free DB support. So your software wouldn't be dependant on
non-free from the start.

Next, once support for free software like PostgreSQL and MySQL is ok,
you'll be able to readd support for Oracle.

Is it possible?

That sounds like a good idea. Would it be sufficient to make it a configuration file option that defaults to "off" (maybe even make it undocumented, so as not to advertise the non-free support) or would you need me to remove it entirely?

I have no problem with either approach, although the former would be easier and more convenient (especially since this code is still in active use/development in an environment that sadly depends on the non-free support).

By the way, I have a technical question too. This project has been developed in CVS from the start, and so there's a large body of CVS history that I'd like to preserve in the move to Savannah, if possible. Is there any way to do that with CVS (eg uploading a tarball of the relevant directory from my existing cvsroot)?

Thanks again,

Stuart.

--
Stuart Ballard, Programmer