[Savannah-hackers] Re: unrtf

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: unrtf
Date: 07 Jan 2003 11:35:34 +0100

Richard Stallman <address@hidden> said:

>     > http://www.geocities.com/tuorfa/notes.html
>     >
>     >   "The Free Software Foundation is a fraud"
>
>     Singular point of view.
>
>     My personal answer
>     http://www.advogato.org/person/yeupou/diary.html?start=6
>
> I don't know what that page says, because I'd have to send
> mail to get it.  But if you published it as an "answer"
> to tuorfa's page, I am afraid you probably did more harm than good.
>
> His page is obscure.  Few people will see it.  Mentioning it in a
> popular site like advogato will tend to call more attention to it.
> That gives him more publicity--good for him, bad for us.
>
> In the future, please don't post responses in major sites
> to any obscure attacks that are made against us.  Let them be
> forgotten and overlooked.  Ok?

This answer is late, some mails was queued by my local exim for an "obscure"
reason.

Tuorfa page is probably "obscure" too. Anyway, I do not think that
talking about something harm us.

I do not think ignoring ideas we don't share work. As example, French
National Front was ignored for almost twenty years and now it's almost
a major political party!

I think that avoiding to talk about some subjects to avoid giving
"publicity" is bad idea. People shouldn't be convinced by Free
Software just because they never found Tuorfa page, but because they
appreciate more what they found on www.gnu.org.

Try to ignore Tuoafa and others is an obscure policy. Avoiding public
debates is an obscure policy and I think it's an harm to us in the
end.

Even if they are few, people will find Tuorfa page. And it's surely
better if they find a discussion about Tuorfa point of view.

My personal policy is clearly to promote discussions. So I cannot
promise you to stop posting messages, as it's just the opposite of
what I think right. But note that I always precise that I speak only
for myself.