[Savannah-hackers] Migration of non-GNU project to GNU?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Migration of non-GNU project to GNU?
Date: 08 Jan 2003 16:17:36 +0100

Ok, when I moved AUCTeX development to Savannah, I decided to apply
for a non-GNU project at first.  If you don't know about the AUCTeX
project: it is the Emacs/XEmacs major mode most people install that
plan on doing serious work with LaTeX.

Two reasons for the initial application on non-GNU: I wanted to get
the opinions of other developers before declaring AUCTeX a GNU
project, and AUCTeX was missing one of the main criteria for such a
project: an autoconf-based installation.

The opinion has been unambiguously positive so far, and we now have a
first version of an autoconf-based configuration in the CVS.  The
next major release will contain it.

I have not yet advertised the web site www.nongnu.org/auctex widely
because I was not sure how long it would remain the primary web site.

I would want to ask you the following questions:

Would it be possible to do a migration of www.nongnu.org/auctex to
www.gnu.org/auctex in the most painless manner: that is, place a
redirection on the old site to the new site?  This would probably
also concern the download areas.

What else would be involved to make the move as smooth as possible?  I
would very much appreciate it if www.gnu.org/auctex could be set up
rather soon, even before the official release of 12.0, so that I could
change announcements to point to there.  The nongnu addresses should
remain valid, however, for at least a few months, even if just
containing redirections.

I am pretty certain that AUCTeX meets the GNU guidelines, but if you
need additional information, please tell me so.

Thanks for your work for Free Software,