address@hidden [Savannah-hackers] submission of OpenTAL - savannah.nongn

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: address@hidden [Savannah-hackers] submission of OpenTAL - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: 13 Jan 2003 10:29:19 +0100

Hi Richard,

        "Fernando "Lalo" Martins <address@hidden> described the
        package as follows:
        License: other
        Other License: Modules are in different licenses:
        pax: public domain, one file in Python 2.2 license
        others: Zope license version 2

        Package: OpenTAL
        System name: opental
        Type: non-GNU

        This is a python-based engine for webpage templates (similar
        in spirit to php, asp and others).  It implements the same
        language (TAL) used in Zope Page Templates; in fact one of the
        modules included is a Zope interface to the engine.

        [...]

        3: the \"Open\" in the project name refers to the fact that it
        has extensibility and maintainability as design goals; it is
        \"open\" to extensions that are easily hooked in.  It has no
        relation at all to \"Open Source\", a term I do not like
        personally.  It is there because this project started, months
        ago, as a fork of Zope\'s TAL and ZPT packages; the analogy is
        to OpenBSD vs. BSD, not to Open Source.  No, I am not willing
        to change the name, but I can sign a contract in blood
        swearing I will not use the words \"Open Source\" in
        documentation or the website, except to explain that it has no
        relation to the project name."

Is this explanation acceptable to you?