[Savannah-hackers] Re: address@hidden submission of OpenTAL - savannah.

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: address@hidden submission of OpenTAL - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: 14 Jan 2003 21:20:24 +0100

Richard Stallman <address@hidden> said:

>     Is this explanation acceptable to you?
>
> Yes.
>
> However, don't we insist on GPL-compatible licenses for non-gnu
> packages on Savannah?  The Python 2.2 license is not compatible with
> the GPL.

Yes, we do.

I was thinking, according to
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html
that Python 2.2 is GPL-compatible:

    The License of Python 2.0.1, 2.1.1, and newer versions.
    This is a free software license and is compatible with the GNU
    GPL. Please note, however, that intermediate versions of Python
    (1.6b1, through 2.0 and 2.1) are under a different license (see
    below).

    The License of Python 1.6b1 and later versions, through 2.0 and 2.1.
    This is a free software license but is incompatible with the GNU
    GPL. The primary incompatibility is that this Python license is
    governed by the laws of the State of Virginia, in the USA, and the
    GPL does not permit this.

2.2 is a "newer version". In the french version of this page, it says
« Attention, certaines versions intermédiaires de Python (de 1.6b1, à
2.0 et 2.1) sont placées sous une licence différente ». I had no
reason to consider 2.2 as an intermediary version.

Finally, is 2.2 really incompatible? If so, I will fix the problem
with the user but the license page must be updated as soon as
possible.