[Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of palito - a real time strategy game

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of palito - a real time strategy game - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: 15 Jan 2003 19:17:59 +0100

address@hidden said:

> Rodolfo Borges <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
> License: gpl
> Other License: hmm no GPL V2 only option.. :)

Licensing under the "GNU GPL v2 only" is problematic.
The main motive is that in ten years from now the copyright
holder may not be reachable while the legal system has
changed and calls for a new version of the GNU GPL v2. When
that happens, licensing under the "GNU GPL v2 only" blocks
the software: it is impossible to upgrade to the new license.

If you want to, we can explain you in more detail
why Savannah only hosts "GNU GPL v2 or later" software.