Re: [Savannah-hackers] Possible problem -- files with no licenses

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Possible problem -- files with no licenses
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 13:17:43 -0500

    Yes, we know that, and we warn people about it in the registration
    process. Even after those warnings we carefully look at their files to make
    sure they all have a license notice. It could happen sometime that one file
    escapes us unnoticed or that some user uploads a new file without license
    notice, but I'd say that those are rare occurrences.

I see you are being very thorough.  That is good.

Do you have to do this by hand?  I wonder if you could automate
it, at least partly, so you could spend less time on it.

    We ask maintainers to do that and we check the code they have when they
    register their projects. Do you think we should inspect new files uploaded
    after the registration? With so many projects it would have to be done by a
    script and even then I think it would require some human help.

It would be good to have a script check all files, if you can do it.
For existing files, the script could notice changes in the license
notice.