Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Waves, Clouds, and Sand - savannah.

From: Jaime E. Villate
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Waves, Clouds, and Sand - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 23:47:15 +0000

On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 08:16:14AM -0800, address@hidden wrote:

> I might be reassured if you could tell me what positive steps are being
> taken to get modern, free 3D working on GNU systems.

The main Savannah administrator/architect, Loic Dachary <address@hidden> is
heavily involved in that area. Look for example at his "Nel" project:
 http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/nel/

> Tux Racer is not exactly a high-visibility project.  You need a popular
> free software project that attracts enough users that "get it", who are
> clamoring for NVidia to release a free driver.
>
> It worked with TrollTech and QT, and MySQL.

QT became free software because for many years KDE was absent from Debian due
to the QT license problems. If Debian adopted the policy you are proposing
(accept KDE even if it depends on non-free toolkits to increase the number of
users and supposedly pressure QT to become free) I seriously doubt it that QT
would be free today. Another example: many users refused to use Lyx because it
was built on libforms which was not free until last year; it was that pressure
that make the author of libforms to release his library under a free license.

I'm not convinced by your arguments that the Savannah policy should be
changed; and any changes to the current policy would have to be approved by
Richard Stallman.

Cheers,
Jaime