[Savannah-hackers] Sabotage of AUCTeX

From: David Kastrup
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Sabotage of AUCTeX
Date: 14 Mar 2003 14:11:49 +0100

Slowly but surely I am getting pretty desperate about the state of
AUCTeX since it became a GNU project.

In the course of it, the web site was moved.  I was not actually told
about it, but just received complaints from my users.

To wit:

a) the old web site <URL:http://www.nongnu.org/auctex> was moved to
<URL:http://www.gnu.org/software/auctex> along with the contents.  A
redirection was installed on <URL:http://www.nongnu.org/auctex> to
the new site.  I have been notified and verified it that by now the
redirection is dead and just barfs up "Permission denied".  This
won't do.  The old web site is still prominent in Google archives and
the documentation in released versions, and the new site has not even
been announced anywhere.

b) in the context of moving, the download area for AUCTeX was shifted
to ftp.gnu.org.  I was asked in the original mail after AUCTeX became
GNU whether I wanted to move to there.  I was not told that the move
would commence immediately whether I wanted it or not.  I have been
pleading for about a week to get an account on the ftp server and what
information you would need from me for this (like an ssh public key or
something).  No reply yet.

So the move to make AUCTeX a GNU project has by now resulted in
a) the widely advertised old web site being dead
b) AUCTeX has stopped being downloadable at all

_Please_ install the redirection from
<URL:http://www.nongnu.org/auctex> to
<URL:http://www.gnu.org/software/auctex> again, and _please_ at least
tell me what information you will need for me to be able to access
ftp.gnu.org.

Or whether you already have everything (after all, I can access
Savannah via ssh) you need, and just need to tell me how I can write
to ftp.gnu.org.

And I still need to get a clue about what to tell old contributors to
AUCTeX: is it sufficient to point to the guidelines with regard to
disclaimers/assignments, or do we need to work out something
particular?