[Savannah-hackers] change notification script

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] change notification script
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2003 17:53:30 -0500

The script that sends mail to report installation of changes is broken
and has been broken ever since it was installed.  It does not
understand multiple branches.  When people looked at fixing this, to
make the script find the change for the appropriate branch, they gave
up because it was too hard.

Well, I have a different idea.

The idea is that the script should only consider one branch (or, only
the trunk).  When a change occurs in the specified branch (or, in the
trunk), the script would report it.  Otherwise, the script would
ignore it completely.

I think this would be better than the change originally considered.
For instance, Emacs has several branches, most of which are used by
one particular person.  I don't want to see notification of changes in
them.  Probably nobody does.  I just want to see notification of
changes in the trunk, and in the RC branch.

So we could run two separate instances of the script--one for the
trunk, sending to one mailing list, and one for the RC branch, sending
to a different mailing list.  And changes in other branches would not get
reported at all.

I think it might be easier to change the script simply to ignore
changes to the wrong branch, rather than to make it handle multiple
branches.  Perhaps the branch could be specified with a command argument
to the script.

Could someone please take a look at this and try to fix it?