[Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of Network Audio Driver - send sound

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of Network Audio Driver - send sound from a mac to esound - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: 04 May 2003 17:35:44 +0200

"Sam O'Connor" <address@hidden> a tapoté :

> On Sunday, May 4, 2003, at 10:00  PM, Mathieu Roy wrote:
>

> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm evaluating the project you submitted for approval in Savannah.
> >

> > address@hidden said:
> >
> >> A package was submitted to savannah.nongnu.org
> >> This mail was sent to address@hidden, address@hidden
> >>
> >> Sam O'Connor <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
> >> License: mbsd
> >> Other License:
> >> Package: Network Audio Driver - send sound from a mac to esound
> >
> > Could you please resubmit your project again with a
> > detailed technical description?  This should include requirements,
> > such as programming languages, external libraries, etc.
> > Half a page will do.
>
> Have done, it is just C/C++ as it is a kernel module.
>
> > Is Darwin completely free software, as in freedom?
>
> As far as I am aware there is a GUN-Darwin project
> http://gnu-darwin.org
>
> I think there were some making-RMS-unhappy type things
> in apple's original license but I think they fixed that up
> in 2001.

It's not about whether someone (RMS for instance) is happy or not,
it's about whether it's free software or not.

GNU Darwin people said:

"First, we are making explicit and binding the following policy.
GNU-Darwin will not support or distribute any software which links to
proprietary libraries, and that includes Cocoa, Carbon, CoreAudio, etc.
There will be no native package manager from GNU-Darwin (pkg_add
suffices)."

I haven't time to figure out how is exactly licensed Darwin: what
matters here is whether your module can be used on a completely free
system.

I was thinking that Darwin is released under APSL. If so, it's not
free software and we cannot host your project. If I'm mistaking, can
you give a pointer to the Darwin license?

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/apsl.html

  Homepage:
    http://yeupou.coleumes.org
  Not a native english speaker: