Re: [Savannah-hackers] Invalid URL in registration response

From: pcg
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Invalid URL in registration response
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 14:41:24 +0200

On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 05:42:06AM -0400, Rudy Gevaert <address@hidden> wrote:
> Could you explain again please.  I don't understand what you mean.

NP, I'll try it differently:

1. The mail one gets sent after registering claims to contain a URL
   that helps on re-registration.

2. That URL is supposed to be between the
   "----RERegistration-URL-BEGIN-----" and END lines.

3. However, between these lines there is not a single URL, but
   "short URL" + "lots of garbage"

4. The "short URL" does not really help in re-registration.

5. The "short URL" + "lots of garbage" is not generally accepted by
   browsers, since it is not a valid URL. If it is accepted, it might
   result in undefined behaviour, since interpreting something that is
   not a valid URL is up to the browser.

6. Either the mail-sending-script should be changed to generate valid
   URLs, _or_ it shouldn't be claimed that a URL is following, since
   that is confusing to users. If, what is between the RERegistration
   lines, actually works with some browsers then it would be better
   to specify these.

but there isn't one (at least not a working one). _Something_ should be
fixed: Either the text, or the URL.

I hope this was more clear ;)

      --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /       address@hidden      |e|