[Savannah-hackers] Re: Change to /root/.bashrc

From: Paul Fisher
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Change to /root/.bashrc
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 15:19:50 -0400

Mathieu Roy <address@hidden> writes:

> But do we consider that using rsync with root is acceptable?
> It seems dangerous to me.

In order to get a full daily backup of everything on remote machines,
it's really our only choice.  The ssh authorized key on the remote
machine can be limited to run only a single command (rsync, with the
appropriate options), and this is how things are normally setup.  The
machine that initiates the rsyncing lives behind a firewall and does
not have normal user accounts.