[Savannah-hackers] submission of The Enki Document Server - savannah.no

From: savannah . gnu . org
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of The Enki Document Server - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 19:38:10 -0400

Aaron D. Ball <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License:
Package: The Enki Document Server
System name: enki
Type: non-GNU

The software is currently just a simple web server, responding in HTTP/1.1 to
GET and HEAD requests for static documents.  In the future, it will permit
authorized users to introduce new documents (optionally relating them to
existing documents), offer interfaces via other protocols (particularly SMTP
and IMAP), and generally unite the essentially similar functions of weblogs,
mailing lists, Usenet, web pages with comment facilities, and other forms of
threaded communication.

The software is written in Ruby, which provides powerful programming
abstractions and standard libraries that together make it possible to write
code that is both compact and legible.  I believe that this, combined with
careful modularization and delegation to the host operating system, will lead
to software that is unusually maintainable, reliable, and secure.

http://enki.net/

is a tiny web site running the current version of the software, whose source
code is at

http://enki.net/Writing/Ruby/DocumentServer

for the time being.

Other Software Required:
The software is written in Ruby and relies on Ruby\'s rich set of standard
libraries, which are licensed as described at

http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/LICENSE.txt

which explicitly permits licensing either under the GPL or under a different
free software license specific to Ruby.  At present, I do not anticipate adding
further third-party libraries;  my intention is to keep the software simple
when I can, but create my own complexity when I must.

Other Comments: