Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Slackware Source Repository - savan

From: Rudy Gevaert
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Slackware Source Repository - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 05:22:01 -0400

On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 08:04:38AM -0400, address@hidden wrote:

> Tais M. Hansen <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
> License: gpl
> Other License:
> Package: Slackware Source Repository
> System name: ssr
> Type: non-GNU

> The purpose of this project is to ease various source package building for
> Slackware Linux users. Today, users of Slackware are dependant on official
> Slackware package releases, on the pre-built binaries on Linux Packages which
> potentially could have been compromised in some way, or on their own skills
> at configuring and building packages manually.

"Linux" is just a kernel of a more complex system
that we like to refer to as GNU/Linux, to emphasize
the ideals of the Free Software movement.

Would you mind changing references to Linux as an OS
to GNU/Linux?

For more information, see http://www.gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html

> The project is basically a collection of makefiles crafted to help build and
> install various packages on Slackware Linux systems, much like the Ports
> system for BSD. It will automatically download sources, verify, extract,
> patch, configure, build, package and install/uninstall/upgrade. It will also
> check and follow package dependencies.
>
> Currently basic fetch, build and package functionality is working. About 15
> source packages can now be downloaded from their respective mirrors and built
> by issuing a simple make in the package repository directory. I.e. \"cd
> ssr/repository/development/pwlib && make\", will fetch the pwlib source tar
> ball, checksum, extract, configure, build and prepare for packaging. The
> binary packages are made with Slackware\'s own packagetools, making it a
> perfect companion for any Slackware Linux system.
>
> Basic makefiles and makefiles for the existing 15 sources are available via
> email if needed (16kb).

Please e-mail it to me.

Regards,

Rudy