[Savannah-hackers] Re: finally getting to reset my password

From: Mark Galassi
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: finally getting to reset my password
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 08:52:11 -0600

Mark Galassi <address@hidden> said:
>     >> Now I'd like to dig up the dominion and dom3 CVS repositories
>     >> from so far back.  How would I do that?
>
>     Mathieu> Do you have copies of CVS repositories? To host them on
>     Mathieu> Savannah, you just have to register a project for each,
>     Mathieu> and once it's done, send the tarball to one of the
>     Mathieu> savannah hackers.
>
> Actually they were hosted on the old melange site, and I don't have
> another copy.  Would old stuff have been saved when you guys created
> savannah?

    Mathieu> Nothing has been deleted. Where was it (I was not here at
    Mathieu> the Savannah start)?

OK, I dug up the email from January 1997 -- at that time Joel Weber
(GNU sysadmin at the time) set it up and here were the instructions
for using it -- they were on melange.gnu.ai.mit.edu in the directory
/gd2/gnu/dominion-repository (see included message below).  Let me
know if anything can be found.

----

Date: Thu, 9 Jan 1997 09:12:48 -0700

Dear Dominion enthusiasts,

* I was looking for a place to put the Dominion CVS repository, since
it is clearly not a LANL thing.  Richard Stallman encouraged me to set
it up on the GNU machines, where I know that Smooge, Bernie, Jack and
John have accounts.

* Here is how to access it:

cvs -d :pserver:address@hidden:/gd2/gnu/dominion-repository login
cvs -d :pserver:address@hidden:/gd2/gnu/dominion-repository checkout dominion-2
cvs -d :pserver:address@hidden:/gd2/gnu/dominion-repository checkout dominion-3

cd dominion-[2 or 3]
./configure --prefix=whatever-you-use
make install

Then you can use standard CVS commands in the directory, and you will
never have to worry about the repository location again:

cvs update  # at the beginning of a hacking session
cvs commit  # at the end of a hacking session -- make sure all works before

* The dominion-2 directory is mainly meant for enhancements to the
current dominion-2.6b, being carried out by the Ohio game crowd.

* The dominion-3 directory has a first stab at a design document,
along with my client/server first hack.  I have so far whipped up a
server with a minimal parser for an SMTP-like protocol, you can run
"./server; telnet hostname 4430" and "play".  The only command that
really does something is SHUTDOWN so far :-)

* Meanwhile I see that people have written freeciv and lincity.

* If you don't want to follow dominion version 3 development, let me
know and I will take you off this list.  I don't yet know how traffic
will be.  Conversely, if you know other people who would be
interested, let me know and I will add them to the list and the
project GNU machines.