Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Aleader - savannah.nongnu.org

From: Joshua N Pritikin
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Aleader - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 14:47:13 +0530

On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 05:03:00AM -0400, Rudy Gevaert wrote:
> I'm evaluating the project you submitted for approval in Savannah.

Wow, cool.

> On Mon, Jun 09, 2003 at 02:09:14PM -0400, address@hidden wrote:
> >
> > A package was submitted to savannah.nongnu.org
> > This mail was sent to address@hidden, address@hidden
> >

> > Joshua Nathaniel Pritikin <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
> > License: gpl
>
> To release your project under the GPL, you should put
> copyright notices and copying permission statements
> at the beginning of every source-code file,

i'm pretty sure i already have that.  Here's what i use:

/*
 * Aleader, Copyright (C) 2003 Joshua Nathaniel Pritikin
 * This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; licensing details
 * are available in the file COPYING, found in source distributions.
 * Aleader source code is available at <http://why-compete.org>.
 */

Is this insufficient?

> and
> include a copy of the plain text version of the GPL
> (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.txt).
> Put it in a file named COPYING.

COPYING is _already_ in the source distribution.  Are you sure
you're looking at aleader-0.9.3.tar.bz2 ?

> > Other License:
> > Package: Aleader
> > System name: aleader
> > Type: non-GNU

> > Aleader is a system for analyzing films for the purpose of measuring and
> > increasing the assessment quotient -- a measure of how consistantly you can
> > be a witness.
> >
> > Aleader is written in C.  It uses Gtk+ for the GUI and Gstreamer for media
> > manipulation.  There is also a perl interface to the non-interactive
> > portion of Aleader.
> >
> > Aleader should work on any platform which supports Gtk+ and Gstreamer.  i
> > believe that includes Linux, some flavors of BSD, and Solaris.  i have no
> > plans to port to Microsoft Windows, but i don\'t mind if someone else does
> > a port.
>
> "Linux" is just a kernel of a more complex system
> that we like to refer to as GNU/Linux, to emphasize
> the ideals of the Free Software movement.
>
> Would you mind changing references to Linux as an OS
> to GNU/Linux?

i don't mind at all.  i prefer "GNU/Linux".  However,
i just checked and i don't have any references to "Linux"
_or_ "GNU/Linux" on my web site or in my source distribution.

i guess i just wrote "Linux" in my savannah submission
as a careless mistake.  (i can re-submit my savannah
application with only this change...)

> For more information, see http://www.gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html

Yes, i am already familiar with this argument.

> > To download the source code, browse to
> > <http://redael.berlios.de/download.html>
> >

> > Other Software Required:
> > i believe that Gtk+ and Gstreamer are typically found in a minimum free
> > operating system.  At least, i hope so.  :-)
> >

> > Other Comments:
> > See the web site & manual for a detail description of what this software
> > does and why it is important.
>
> Please register your project once more with the changes mentioned
> above.

Please tell me whether i have to change anything besides
the "Linux"->"GNU/Linux" change in my savannah submission.

Is it really true that i don't have to change anything
on my web site or in my source distribution?

--
Victory to the Divine Mother!!         after all,
  http://sahajayoga.org                  http://why-compete.org