[Savannah-hackers] submission of Nexus voice communication application

From: griffon26
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Nexus voice communication application - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 16:43:02 -0400

Maurice van der Pot <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License:
Package: Nexus voice communication application
System name: nexus
Type: non-GNU

The goal of my project is to make an application like BattleCom/Roger
Wilco/TeamSpeak/GameVoice mainly for talking to your friends while playing
games.
The combination of properties/features that will make this program unique (as
far as I have seen):
- open source (GPL'd)
- runs on both Linux and Windows
- has decent sound quality
- some additional ideas that I have not seen in other programs

It will be programmed in C++ (but not strictly OO) using existing libraries for
speech encoding/decoding and audio I/O (see software dependencies).

I am currently not planning on making a GUI, but that could change. I will
certainly make sure there is a well specified API for connecting a GUI to the
app (either through a socket or through simply linking them together).

I have made a working prototype before that was in C, but the design wasn't
good enough so it has been bumped down to prototype status.
The C++ code I have so far can be found here:
ftp://griffon26.kfk4ever.com/pub/nexus/source

Other Software Required:
Speex - www.speex.org - library for encoding/decoding speech
Portaudio - www.portaudio.com - library for audio I/O

Other Comments: