[Savannah-hackers] Re: Switching to the subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/ema

From: Nic
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Switching to the subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs repository
Date: 27 Jul 2003 15:05:38 +0100

> I was asked to do this switch a long time ago, but only now had enough
> time to set up my system (a Windows 98 box) for that.  I have PuTTY
> installed, and set up the ported CVS to use its PLINK utility for
> CVS/SSH access to the Emacs repository, including registration of my
> public key on savannah.  However, when I try to run some CVS command,
> like this:
>
>   cvs -z3 -d :ext:subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs diff -u src/msdos.c
>
> I get the following error message:
>
>   protocol error: directory '/cvs/emacs/src' not within root '/cvsroot/emacs'
>
> ("cvs diff" was chosen because it's a non-destructive command.)

You can specify no action with the -n option, eg:

   cvs -n co somemodule

> >From this I understand two things:
>
>   1) my CVS/SSH setup seems to be working okay, and I am, in fact,
>      accessing the /cvsroot/emacs repository via SSH;
>
>   2) the error message is due to the old root recorded in the
>      CVS/Repository files.
>
> Are these conclusions correct, or am I missing something?

Certainly, if you've got an old cvsroot in your CVS/Root files it
won't work.

> Now, it's possible that if I say "cvs co -d emacs", the CVS client
> will rewrite all the CVS/Repository files, and this problem will go
> away.  However, I wonder whether there's a less dramatic way of
> switching; for example, can I simply edit those CVS/Repository files
> manually?

If you were running GNU you could do this:

CVSROOT="address@hidden:/cvsroot/emacs" \
find workingcopyroot -name "CVS" \
              -exec bash -c 'echo $CVSROOT > \{}/Root' \;

But since you're not you'll have to find another way to echo the new
repository root into all the directorys.

The only reason you'd want to do this btw is if you have local
changes that you want to preserve into the new structure. That seems
unlikely.

If I were you I'd just check out emacs from subversions in some other
location.

--
Nic Ferrier
http://www.tapsellferrier.co.uk