Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Free Go Server - savannah.nongnu.or

From: Rudy Gevaert
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Free Go Server - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 16:09:57 -0400

On Mon, Jul 28, 2003 at 10:58:52PM -0400, address@hidden wrote:

> David Rysdam <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
> License: gpl
> Other License:
> Package: Free Go Server
> System name: fgs
> Type: non-GNU

> We would like to create a Free Go Server.  There are three main
> servers out there now.  One, KGS (kgs.kiseido.com), has a
> proprietary server and client.  Another, IGS
> (http://www.pandanet.co.jp/English/), has a proprietary server with
> many Free clients.  IGS also reportedly has many other freedom
> problems, such as users being banned for talking about verboten
> topics.  The last, NNGS, is open

Note that Savannah supports projects of the Free Software
movement, not projects of the Open Source movement.

We are careful about ethical issues and insist on producing software
that is not dependent on proprietary software.

While Open Source as defined by its founders means something pretty
close to Free Software, it's frequently misunderstood.  For more
information, read
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.html

> on both the client and server, but
> suffers from some problems.  In particular, not many clients that
> claim to support it support it well and it also doesn't have some of
> the more advanced features that have drawn people to KGS (chatrooms,
> pictures, online game history, etc).

> Our plan is to fork the NNGS code, then build our own ideas on top of it.
> Because some of these ideas would break those few NNGS clients that work,
> submitting these as modifications to the NNGS people isn't feasible.  NNGS is
> GPL and the code is available at http://nngs.cosmic.org/src/.

Before releasing your project under the GPL, please place
copyright notices and permission to copy statements at the beginning
of every file of source code.

In addition, if you haven't already, please copy a copy of the plain
text version of the GPL, available from
(http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.txt), into a file named "COPYING".

Additional instructions are available from
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.html.

The GPL FAQ explains why these procedures must be followed.  To learn
why a copy of the GPL must be included with every copy of the code,
for example, go to
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#WhyMustIInclude

Can you assure me that this will be done when forking the code?

Please register your project once more with the changes
mentioned above.

We cannot track projects that have been answered but not approved, so
we must ask you to register the project whenever you change the
registration. Make sure to apply all changes so you need to reregister
only once.

The re-registration URL found in our acknowledgement of your earlier
registration will direct you to the proper location.

Regards,

Rudy