Re: [Savannah-hackers] export restrictions

From: Walter Landry
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] export restrictions
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 22:49:15 -0400 (EDT)

Mathieu Roy <address@hidden> wrote:
> En réponse à Rudy Gevaert <address@hidden>:
>

> > Can someone give an answer to this?

> > > I just had another thought.  I expect that in the near future, I will
> > > be incorporating cryptographic routines into ArX.  Export
> > restrictions
> > > can make life quite complicated.  Is that going to be a problem for
> > > Savannah?  I can do the original bxa notification which should make
> > > everything ok, but I don't know what Savannah policy is about crypto.
>
> I think that the software should work with and without crypto.
> Users with the sources should be able to, when compiling the
> software, activate it or not. Along with the sources, if you provide
> binaries, you should provide binaries of both versions (with and
> without crypto).  The users will be able to, at their option,
> according to their country's laws, use the appropriate version of
> your software.

The problem is not whether a person can use crypto [1].  The problem
is whether Savannah is willing to serve as a place where crypto is
going to be exported.  Debian went through a long, painful process
before they decided to do that.

Thanks,
Walter Landry
address@hidden

[1] I didn't think this was a problem anymore.  It used to be a
problem in France, but that situation has improved.