Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Web Oriented Resources Management -

From: Rudy Gevaert
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Web Oriented Resources Management - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 14:11:54 -0400

On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 10:47:27AM -0400, address@hidden wrote:

> Samuel Pajilewski <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
> License: lgpl
> Other License:
> Package: Web Oriented Resources Management
> System name: worm
> Type: non-GNU

> The main purpose of this project is to help system administrators to create,
> modify, integrate and fashion Pages for Enterprise Resource Management.
>
> It is a Web Oriented Project, based upon PHP, HTML, XML, CSS and JavaScript,
> using a Database with abstraction on which system Database we can use (The
> project offer a PHP Class with methodes, we can inherite a mother class for
> using another Database. I have currently developped the PostgreSQL Class
> components but we can easily develop others classes for MySQL, Oracle or
> other Databases).
>

> Through a Web interface, generated in PHP and using an available Theme to
> display elements, the user must be identified (thanks to PHP sessions,  if
> the main session variable is not set and if the password does not match the
> user equivalence, the user is automatically redirected to the identification
> form).
>

> According to the account and the level of access (there is lot of different
> functions granted to user, like Administrator, Software developpers,
> Accounting department...), we can use the available modules to use some Pages
> available.
>

> Currently, the main core of the project is developped : We can manually
> generate Pages, add a module (Require modifying the catalog file containing
> the module - this catalog file could be replaced with an XML file afterward
> -, modifying the file responsible to dipslay the dynamic menu managed in
> JavaScript, and create the directoty hosting the module), Add an user, add a
> function, add a Theme, add a Dictionary (Since the project can be used throug
> h the world, it uses a system to allow user to choose different dictionnary.
> Afterwards, it will be managed thanks to XML).
>

> Each time we add a module, the dynamic module is automatically updated
> according to the current session.
>

> I plan to release an usable version of the project in the 0.1x branch, since
> there is a lot of work to do, like completing the documentation, clarify the
> codes, and drop redundancies.
>

>  This project does not require any specific Operating System, even if now,
> this is only plainly usable with Linux since I use the shell_exec function in
> PHP, that is not really portable. Afterward I will develop a specific
> (abstract) class that will allow user to inherit from her to develop a class
> to a specific OS.

"Linux" is just a kernel of a more complex system
that we like to refer to as GNU/Linux, to emphasize
the ideals of the Free Software movement.

Would you mind changing references to Linux as an OS
to GNU/Linux?

For more information, see
http://www.gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html

> I don't have any URL to provide since I don't have any secure Web
> edmplacement to put my project. So if you would like to take a look on the
> code, I can send it you through email. This is an already big project. I need
> also to remove some files and images that does not meet your requirements (I
> may have 1 or 2 GIFs in use, I am going to replace it with PNG images).
>

> The software use PHPDocGen and JPGraph that are, in my opinion, free of
> charge.

But is it Free Software?  http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html
With Free we mean the Free as in "Freedom".

> Other Software Required:
> The software does not contain any proprietary codes. However, I was delighted
> to provide the user automated installer developped in different ways, like
> GTK, QT and Java
>
> Since I need Java Swing in the installer (Installer are notre already
> developped but the conception is nearly completed), I will not host the
> installer at savannah.
>

> Other Comments:
> I am not a Licence jurist or evangelsit, so I would like to point out an
> issue (in relation with savannah) :
>
>  - In the first steps of my development and conception, I was delighted to
> provide the user no charge concerning the licence of their self developped
> modules.
>
> As the core is (?)GPL, any modification brought in the core must be
> distributed. But I don't really know what are the conditions concerning the
> module developped by a third person/company that will use the core methods to
> develop their modules.

The modifications to not have to be distributed.  When they are being
distributed the source code must be available.

Of course the modifactions must be licensed under the LGPL (in your
case).

> As they must change one or two files to inegrate their modules (Modules
> Catalog Files) I don't know if I can provide the developper a free conditions
> concerning the licence of the modules.

I can't answer this question because I don't know what you mean with
"free".  Free as in freedom or as in "free beer"?

When you have decided to host your project at Savannah (this can be
done if it complies with the Savannah policy) please register your
project once more with the changes mentioned above.

We cannot track projects that have been answered but not approved, so
we must ask you to register the project whenever you change the
registration. Make sure to apply all changes so you need to reregister
only once.

The re-registration URL found in our acknowledgement of your earlier
registration will direct you to the proper location.

You can then mail the source code to me.  But make sure there are no
gifs in it and the every source code file have the right copyright
notices and the permission-to-copy-statements in it according to the
LGPL.  Also if you haven't please include the COPYING file.

Web page                    http://www.webworm.org
GNU/Linux for schools       http://www.nongnu.org/glms
Savannah hacker             http://savannah.gnu.org