Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of RTK - savannah.gnu.org

From: Rudy Gevaert
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of RTK - savannah.gnu.org
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 15:20:03 -0400

On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 08:37:26AM -0400, address@hidden wrote:

> A package was submitted to savannah.gnu.org
>

> Dejan Lekic <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
> License: other
> Other License: RTK is proposed to be under so-called RPL (Radionica Public
> Lincese, http://www.radionica.org/rpl/v01.html). RPL is actually GNU Library
> General Public License (LGPL) v2 (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/lgpl.html) with
> following exceptions:

I discussed your license with the licensing people of GNU and we think
your license is GPL compatible because it only gives additional
rights.

However we think it is rather unclearly.  You are free to contact
address@hidden if you want.

<...>

> This is (draft) RTK description from (working) RTK Book:
> RTK is a cross-platform C++ GUI toolkit for GNU/HURD, GNU/Linux, and
> different unices, as well as Microsoft? Windows?, and MacOS?? X. We have
> planned support for sever other operating systems in the future - notably
> Symbian OS and QNX. It provides modern GUI functionality with support for
> different devices and 3D graphics via OpenGL??. RTK team have spent a lot of
> time in redesigning old eFLTK code in order to make RTK more optimised,
> stable, and robust. It's open architecture and opensource way of development
> makes RTK easily adoptable for any kind of software development, not just
> GUI. It is currently maintained by a small group of developers across the
> world with a central repository on GNU Savannah
> (http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/rtk).
>
> Relation between eFLTK and RTK? - eFLTK project will be abandoned when RTK
> project on Savannah is registered. EDE (eFLTK) team would like to change name
> of our base toolkit on top of which EDE and it's 25+ applications are built.
> The main reason for this movement is that we would like to move everything
> from SourceForge (http://sourceforge.net/projects/ede) to Savannah. Some
> subprojects are already on Savannah (EDE Translation Project per example).
> The main reason for changing name from eFLTK to RTK is that eFLTK is not FLTK
> anymore - it's much better organised, optimised, and more opened to
> contributions than FLTK (IMHO). It also contains a lot of high-level classes
> that allows developer(s) to build all kinds of modern applications much
> faster and easier.
>
> One of the best examples what can be done with (currently still named eFLTK)
> is at http://ede.ho.com/ all screenshots there are made in EDE, which is
> built via RTK (eFLTK).
>
> Source code of eFLTK (future RTK) can be found at
> http://ede.ho.com/pak/snapshots/efltk-1.0.0-20030724.src.tgz .

This didn't work.  Bad tarball I think.

> Sure, there is CVS repository for EDE. eFLTK (RTK) module is located there.
> Hopefully (if you are lucky and SF CVS works) you can check eFLTK out with
> cvs -z3 -d:pserver:address@hidden:/cvsroot/ede login
> cvs -z3 -d:pserver:address@hidden:/cvsroot/ede co efltk

This did work :)

 Please remove GIF image files from your project and
replace them with an other format (such as PNG or JPEG).

Because of the patents (Unisys and IBM) covering the LZW
compression algorithm which are used when making GIF files,
it's impossible to have free software to generate proper
GIFs.  They also apply to the compress program.

For more information read http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/gif.html

 In order to release your project properly and unambiguously
under the GPL, please place copyright notices and permission-to-copy
statements at the beginning of every file of source code.

In addition, if you haven't already, please copy a copy of the plain
text version of the GPL, available from
(http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.txt), into a file named "COPYING".

Additional instructions are available from
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.html.

The GPL FAQ explains why these procedures must be followed.  To learn
why a copy of the GPL must be included with every copy of the code,
for example, go to
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#WhyMustIInclude

This is not correct:
 * Extended Fast Light Toolkit (EFLTK)
 * Copyright (C) 2002-2003 by EDE-Team
 * WWW: http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/ede
 *
 * Fast Light Toolkit (FLTK)
 * Copyright (C) 1998-2003 by Bill Spitzak and others.
 * WWW: http://www.fltk.org
 *
 * This library is distributed under the GNU LIBRARY GENERAL PUBLIC
   LICENSE
 * version 2. See COPYING for details.
 *
 * Author : Mikko Lahteenmaki
 * Email  : address@hidden
 *
 * Please report all bugs and problems to "address@hidden"
 *
 */

Please register your project once more with the changes
mentioned above.

We cannot track projects that have been answered but not approved, so
we must ask you to register the project whenever you change the
registration. Make sure to apply all changes so you need to reregister
only once.

The re-registration URL found in our acknowledgement of your earlier
registration will direct you to the proper location.

Regards,

Rudy