[Savannah-hackers] Re: new project: nixal gnu/linux user group

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: new project: nixal gnu/linux user group
Date: 12 Sep 2003 18:17:12 +0200

Richard Stallman <address@hidden> said:

>     But apart from that, I do not think that someone should "handhold" or
>     "liaise" a dedicated kind of project. Basically, the interlocutor for
>     Savannah users should be the savannah-hackers list, not an individual
>     on the list (unless there something very unusual that need to be
>     settled by an individual from the list), users should be using the
>     savannah support request tool instead of taking the habbit to rely on
>     a specific person.
>
> This is still a misunderstanding, I think.  JPW did not ask one
> of the Savannah team to hold their hands or liaise with them.
> He said he wanted to hold their hands and liaise with them.
> Why do you object if he does this?

I'm not sure to understood what covers exactly "holding hands and
liaising"?

If it requires no action at all from savannah hackers, why sending a
mail to address@hidden Just for the information? In that
case, disregard my mails about that.

If it requires to provide JPW a way to manage their project, it will
take us more time than doing it by ourselves (one project is nothing
in matter of time, we review 40 projects per weeks. I do that since
february 2002 so basically I must have reviewed something like 2000
projects in my life).
But sure, it's not a big deal, it's not even a problem.

I'd be more interested in the savannah policy about GUG (because if
it's about to generalize, which is a good idea, it should be better to
think about potential issues at start. For instance, a specific naming
convention should be picked for these groups:

        - at savannah, each project get a "system name", for instance
        "emacs" for the GNU Emacs project.
        These names are unique.

        If we are about to host GUGs, we should make sure that they
        will not take "system name" that can be used by projects (a
        software with a system name well known will not change his
        system name just to be hosted at savannah. And projects, I
        think, should get the priority on system names)

        So we should probably add a prefix to GUG system name, like
        gug_$namepicked.
        It's pretty harmless and helpful.

Basically, I think that we should have a clear savannah policy
text. The policy is explained in some part of savannah but it could be
a FAQ entry. I'll maybe write a draft from the existing information
and send it to proofreaders (can someone remind me the exact
address?).
It would be easier for our users to understand how we run savannah and
it would help new contributors to savannah too.

  Homepage:
    http://yeupou.coleumes.org
  Not a native english speaker: