Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Narya Forum and Project Incubator -

From: Rudy Gevaert
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Narya Forum and Project Incubator - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 03:59:27 -0400

On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 06:22:51PM -0400, address@hidden wrote:

> Terry Hancock <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
> License: gpl
> Other License:
> Package: Narya Forum and Project Incubator
> System name: narya
> Type: non-GNU

> The "Narya" Project is a web-application-based Forum and Project-Incubator
> which will (eventually) combine discussion, workflow and content management,
> collaborative development, full-text document and data archive,
> brick-and-mortar library integration, collective financing, reverse auction,
> catalog sales, and manufacturing and service resource planning into an open
> free-market model based on the principles of open-source development. Its
> central design paradigm is a hierarchical topic tree with multiple topic
> views derived from content and integrated applications.

Note that Savannah supports projects of the Free Software
movement, not projects of the Open Source movement.

We are careful about ethical issues and insist on producing software
that is not dependent on proprietary software.

While Open Source as defined by its founders means something pretty
close to Free Software, it's frequently misunderstood.  For more
information, read
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.html

> More detail is available at http://www.narya.net and links thereunder.

 In order to release your project properly and unambiguously
under the GPL, please place copyright notices and permission-to-copy
statements at the beginning of every file of source code.

I have seen at least one file that didn't have the copyright notices
and permission-to-copy statements.

In addition, if you haven't already, please copy a copy of the plain
text version of the GPL, available from
(http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.txt), into a file named "COPYING".

Additional instructions are available from
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.html.

The GPL FAQ explains why these procedures must be followed.  To learn
why a copy of the GPL must be included with every copy of the code,
for example, go to
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#WhyMustIInclude

> The last published source code may be found in the Sourceforge project CVS
> for http://sourceforge.net/projects/spacelift .  I am currently in the middle
> of a massive reorganization of the code, and have not uploaded the result.
> However, this does not involve substantial new code or dependencies so much
> as a reorganization of existing code. Basically, I'm looking to start over
> with the CVS, since the directory structure is now quite different from the
> original.
>

> I wrote a paper for presentation at the 2003 International Space Development
> Conference in San Jose, which is included in (gv-compatible) PDF at
> http://www.anansispaceworks.com/papers_html
>
> which describes the current design changes.
>

> Other Software Required:
> Python 2.1+
>
> Zope 2.5.1+
>
> VarImage 2.3+ (a Zope Product I maintain)
>
> Various python libraries: stripogram, pystemmer, python imaging library
>
> I expect to have components dependent on pythoncad, pyogg, pyvorbis, and
> several other components. Maybe even Blender at some point. By its nature,
> Narya will tend to accumulate a lot of dependencies, since it is basically a
> highly-pluggable framework.
>

> Regarding "Java 2" and the clientside, I've written a description of some of
> the options at http://www.narya.net/client_html . We have a bit of a problem
> in finding adequate clientside tools to integrate that don't require Swing or
> other Java 2 features, and I feel I will need help from other people
> interested in an effective free clientside for more advanced Narya features.
> But this is certainly an important goal for us.

I didn't have the time to read the full paper.

Your project requires proprietary software and cannot be
hosted on Savannah for this reason.

Savannah is willing to provide resources and time to developers
writing Free Software that can be used without the need to ask
permission from a proprietary software vendor.

If, someday, you get free of those dependencies (see
http://www.gnu.org/software/java for more information), do not
hesitate to resubmit your project.

Thank you for your understanding.

Are developing a client that uses only free software?  If you do we
can host your project.  It is not possible to host the free client
here and the non free client here too.

Regards,

Rudy