[Savannah-hackers] submission of GNU School - savannah.gnu.org

From: trelane
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of GNU School - savannah.gnu.org
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 20:20:03 -0400

A package was submitted to savannah.gnu.org

Joseph Pingenot <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License:
Package: GNU School
System name: gnuschool
Type: GNU

GNU School is a project to create a complete computer administration system for
a high school (although other schools will be supported in the end, my testbed
is a private US high school).  It should have the following components:

  1) Web-based interface

  2) Class and pupil grade book

  3) Mailing lists by pupil and groups (e.g. classes)

  4) Class pages

  5) Calendar for staff and students

  6) Assignment lists and class resources

This is for starters; it will eventually evolve to have webmail and non-web
interfaces.  The point is that it's a componentized, one-stop school system
based upon Free standards and software.  The web stuff will be based on a
standard LAMP (GNU/Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP), and will likely have an LDAP
backend for account information.

Other Software Required:
At the moment:

  1) Apache

  2) GNU/Linux

  3) PHP

  4) MySQL, if appropriate

  5) OpenLDAP

  6) Some MTA (e.g. exim)

  7) Mozilla will be recommended, although all web pages will be written to the
W3C standards (XHTML and CSS, with as little JavaScript as possible, which is
very doable for me.  :)

More will likely follow, e.g. Ogg, Gnumeric, etc. formats for resource files.

Other Comments:
I'm currently a part-time web developer at a private US high school, and
they're looking to eventually transition to GNU/Linux.  A lot of what they're
looking to do could be rolled into this project, if they're amenable to it.  If
not, I can use it as a learning experience so that I can know the target
audience better.

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/