[Savannah-hackers] Misinterpretation in GNU web page

From: Hugo Gayosso
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Misinterpretation in GNU web page
Date: 08 Nov 2003 01:15:36 -0500

Hello all!

At savannah-hackers we received an email from a user who
misinterpreted one of the GNU web pages leading him to think that GNU
was charging money to get access to the mail archives.

<user message>
> sorry , please check http://mail.gnu.org/spam

Sure, if I understood correctly, after donation (proposed 100 USD or more ?)
I will have probably access to it as member.

I like Free Software, but such methods and closing access to free infos (I'm
student and paying 100 USD is some problem for me and I can't do it) make me
mad. Thank You guys for it.

</user message>

Perhaps this wording should be changed, what about any of the
following two options?  (I think the last one is a little bit better)

FIRST OPTION
<new wording and formatting>
The FSF provides these mailing list archives as a service to GNU
users, only via web interface.

(two or three rows later)

Please consider making a donation to the FSF at http://donate.fsf.org/
or by  becoming an associate member at  http://member.fsf.org/ to help
support these archives.

</new wording and formatting>

or

SECOND OPTION
add the paragraph:

"The FSF provides these mailing list archives as a service to GNU
users"

as another bullet.

If you agree with this, could you please make this change to avoid
future misinterpretations?

Thanks for your help,
- --
Hugo Gayosso