Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of aiarena - savannah.nongnu.org

From: Rudy Gevaert
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of aiarena - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2003 12:30:19 +0100

On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 03:18:18PM -0500, address@hidden wrote:

> Dejan Lozanovic <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
> License: gpl
> Other License: maybe libaiarena wich is part of the project will be released
> under LGPL, rest of the project is GPL
> Package: aiarena
> System name: aiarena
> Type: non-GNU

> This is game for programers, the object of the game is to create
> tank(program) that would fight against other tanks(programs) in
> arena.Programer will use functions provided in the library, you can see
> functions here http://alas.matf.bg.ac.yu/~mr97209/libaiarena.h

Please register your project again and include an (temporary) URL
pointing to the source code.  The description you gave when
registering will not be read by the general public. If you are still
concerned with privacy, however, you can forward the code to me by
email.

We wish to review your source code, even if it is not functional, to
catch potential legal issues early.

For example, to release your program properly under the GPL you must
include a copyright notice and permission-to-copy statements at the
beginning of every file of source code.  This is explained in
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.html.  Our review would help
catch potential omissions such as these.

> Other Software Required:
> libaiarena - will be part of the project this librarty would use players
>

> qt/RTK/eFLTK-some of thease tollkits would be used for visualisator
>
> xlib,opengl
>
> Other Comments:
> Well I'm coding a game for programers, where object of the game is to create
>
> tank(program) that will fight against other tanks(programs) in some kind
>
> arena. I'm plaining to publish it under GPL/LGPL copyright. Well project is
>
> divided into 3 sections library, simulator, and visualization program. I
>
> think to release library under LGPL and simulator and visualisation program
>
> will be pure GPL.
>

> The reason why I thing to release library under LGPL is to not force players
>
> to give their source code for their thanks I beileve if library is publish
>
> uder GPL too that would ruin cometition and fun with game since i beileve
>
> that every tank would look the same.
>

> I'm curious what is your opinion about this,  about decision to publish
>
> library under LGPL.

I don't know if I understand you right, but this is the way I see it:

When you program something and put it under the GPL you do not have to
release the source code IF you don't distribute your binary.
When you distribute your binary you have to give the sources with
it (or make it possible to request it).

So, if you distribute your library under the GPL other people can
change and use it.  They only have to release their code if they
distribute their binary.

Also if you release your library under the LGPL a nonfree program can
use your library.  And if they would distribute that program they
still have to release the code of your library with the changes.

Do you understand?

Please register your project once more with the changes
mentioned above.

We cannot track projects that have been answered but not approved, so
we must ask you to register the project whenever you change the
registration. Make sure to apply all changes so you need to reregister
only once.

The re-registration URL found in our acknowledgement of your earlier
registration will direct you to the proper location.

Regards,

Rudy