[Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of Python ODBC - savannah.nongnu.org

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of Python ODBC - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 13:08:43 +0100

address@hidden a tapoté :

> Mardy <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
> License: other
> Other License: The Python License (http://www.python.org/2.3.2/license.html)
> which is OSI approved.
> Package: Python ODBC
> System name: pyodbc
> Type: non-GNU

> There are currently two ODBC modules for python; one of these is commercial
> (see http://www.egenix.com/files/python/mxODBC.html; it has a dual license,
> an open-source one for private use, and a commercial one for commercial use),
> while the other is free (see below for clarifications) but works only in
> Windows (it is included in the win32all package).
>
> I've modified it to have it compile and work under Linux (with the unixODBC
> package, but I guess even iODBC might be used), but I think the driver needs
> many improvements and corrections, which I believe only a group of developers
> can do; so I'm willing to open a project for it.
>
> The original source code is at
> http://starship.python.net/crew/mhammond/win32/Downloads.html
>
> Since the source code consists of just two files, I've emailed them to
> Mathieu Roy <address@hidden>.

Before releasing your project under the GPL, please place
copyright notices and permission to copy statements at the beginning
of every file of source code.

In addition, if you haven't already, please copy a copy of the plain
text version of the GPL, available from
(http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.txt), into a file named "COPYING".

Additional instructions are available from
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.html.

The GPL FAQ explains why these procedures must be followed.  To learn
why a copy of the GPL must be included with every copy of the code,
for example, go to
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#WhyMustIInclude

> As for the license: the original module comes with this sentence in the
> odbc.cpp source file:
>
> "Donated to the Python community by EShop, who can not support it!"
>
> And this strange license in the License.txt file:

It seems ok to me.

You can send a message to address@hidden to get a confirmation.

  | General Homepage:           http://yeupou.coleumes.org/             |
  | Computing Homepage:         http://alberich.coleumes.org/           |
  | Not a native english speaker:                                       |
  |     http://stock.coleumes.org/doc.php?i=/misc-files/flawed-english  |