[Savannah-hackers] Re: License compatibility

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: License compatibility
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 17:26:01 +0100

Vincent Caron <address@hidden> a tapoté :

> Mathieu Roy wrote:
>> For that project
>>     - his license is indeed GPL-compatible, it is GPL
>>     - it depends on free software (dependancies does not have to be
>>     GPL-compatible but only free software).
>> So it can be hosted here.
>> But this project has never been accepted as "CPLed" if I'm not
>> dreaming. A project can depends on a non-GPL-compatible license and
>> still be
>> GPL. For instance, you can make GPL software dependent on apache,
>> there is no problem, can't you?
>
> We can host his project, but it appears that it is an illegal assembly
> (his GPL code linked with a CPL library). The moderator was right as
> far as Savannah policy is concerned, but should maybe have noticed the
> legal trouble for the user.

Sure, you're right on that.

> I'm thinking about putting up a quick 'licence and dependence
>compatibility lookup' as a CGI, maybe something that could be
>integrated in the admin interface. When I stop being overloaded here
>at work ... :)

Can be interesting, indeed.

  | General Homepage:           http://yeupou.coleumes.org/             |
  | Computing Homepage:         http://alberich.coleumes.org/           |
  | Not a native english speaker:                                       |
  |     http://stock.coleumes.org/doc.php?i=/misc-files/flawed-english  |