[Savannah-hackers] GNU/Linux on the phpGW bug tracker

From: Dave Hall
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] GNU/Linux on the phpGW bug tracker
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 10:23:16 +1100

Hi Mathieu,

I did not see this post on the phpGW lists - it was pointed out to me by
someone.

Mathieu Roy wrote:
> Browsing the phpGroupWare bug tracker for a bug related to Savannah, I
> found something strange.
>
> I, the field "platform", that people submitting bugs against
>phpGroupWare are supposed to fill, they are prompted for
>             "Linux - Debian"
>             "Linux - Mandrake"
>             "Linux - RedHat"
>             [...]

>I'm not sure to understand how mentioning the kernel name can be
>useful in a report against a PHP application.

It is not the kernel version.  It is the distro.  As you would be aware,
each distro does things a little differently.  It makes it easy for us
to notice patterns based on distros.

> So I'm lead to assume that it is written Linux in the sense of an
> Operating System.
>
> This terminology is not supported by the GNU Project, neither does
> this terminology support the GNU Project.

It is obviously an oversight by someone.  I am not sure who or when.

Please keep in mind, for many of our developers phpGW is the first time
they have worked on a GNU package - so there is a bit of a learning
curve.  We do try to educate our users and developers about the GNU project.

> Every project registered as Savannah is asked to use the terminology
> that GNU support, as a part of the deal for an almost free-as-beer
> hosting facility. However, your project seems to have been registered
> way before strict rules have been established on that topic.

We do try to do this.  If there are any other problems, let us know and
we will fix them as soon as time permits.

> Also, on the phpGroupWare, it mentions that phpGroupWare is part of
> the GNU project.

Yep and part of DotGNU.

> I think it would be appropriate to changes the content of the
> incriminated platform field for your bug tracker hosted at Savannah. A
> trivial modification that could help to promote GNU ideals.

Done.

Cheers

Dave Hall (aka skwashd)
API Coordinator