[Savannah-hackers] Re: Plan for today

From: Bradley M. Kuhn
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Plan for today
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 11:55:14 -0500

Mathieu Roy wrote:

> 2) What kind of adaptation do you think you would need? The savannah
> software has been designed to enough generalistic to avoid beeing
> subversions.gnu.org specific, as it was at first. No change reversing
> that process should ever be commited to the CVS. If the current code
> does not allow a required configuration, configurability of the software
> should be changed, not the software itself.

Allowing the software to be configurable into a chroot environment seems
like a good feature to add.  Don't you think so?  If not, why not?

> (I insist on the fact that this kind of change must not be commited on
> the Savannah CVS itself)

If we do make changes that are savannah.gnu.org specific, what would be
the harm on putting them on a branch?

However, I would hope that we don't need to do that.  It seems to me it
would better to improve the savannah software so that it can work with
chroot'ed environments.  If you think this is a bad change, we would
certainly like to hear why.

The only change that's been discussed here that would savannah.gnu.org
specific would be to add the field in the database we mentioned that would
indicate whether or not the software would be audited.  The request for
that feature came from RMS himself, actually.

> Why do you want python? For viewcvs?

Yes, see my other post on the subject.

--
Bradley M. Kuhn, Executive Director
Free Software Foundation   |  Phone: +1-617-542-5942