[Savannah-hackers] submission of Uncle Dan's EFL Phonics Project - savan

From: uncle_dans
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Uncle Dan's EFL Phonics Project - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 02:25:57 -0500

Daniel Bo <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License: The code should be under the GPL, but the graphics and books may
need to be under a documentation license.  If Gnu feels that a GPL license for
the whole thing is appropriate, then that's great.
Package: Uncle Dan's EFL Phonics Project
System name: uncledansefl
Type: non-GNU

This is a project with the intent to commoditize English as a Foreign Language
teaching materials.  I am not a professional programmer, so if this description
does not meet your needs in any way, please email me with specific questions.
I am a former linguist, and so have structured this material in a linguistic
fashion, particularly by teaching phonemes at the 5-7 year old range and
standard American English phonics rules as the student ages.  Authentic
materials are used as often as possible.  My school is in Thailand, so the
curriculum is intentionally tailored for this area, but is generally
appropriate for countries which speak monosyllabic, tonal languages.
The program progresses like this:
Level     Subject matter
_____     _________________________________________________
1-2       Introduction of letters, their most common sounds,
          Identification of that sound versus other initial consonant
          sounds, initial / final consonant sound differentiation,
          visual differentiation of similar / incorrect letters, and
          writing practice.
3-4       Word construction beginning with simple CVC words, moving
          on to consonant clusters and slurs, dipthongs, etc.  The
          students are taught to pronounce words from spelling and
          spell words from their sounds.  Decodable books are used
          during these levels.
5-7       American first grade reading vocabulary is taught using
          worksheets, wallcharts, flashcards, decodable books, and
          frist grade readers.  The simplest phonics rules are
          introduced.  Translation of vocabulary is encouraged.
8-10      American second grade reading vocabulary is taught using
          similar materals as levels 5-7, but without decodable books
          and with more difficult phonics.  Grammar concepts begin
          to be introduced.  Translation is used to check
          understanding.
11-14     Third grade vocabulary with more difficult worksheets, word
          games, etc... Third grade readers are used and more complex
          grammar is used, but still taught mostly implicitly.
15-17     Fourth grade vocabulary with continuing grammar in authentic
          situtations.  About this time the classes begin instruction
          100% in English.  Fourth grade readers.
18-20     Fifth grade vocabulary and readers with debate and
          discussion.
Right now, the project consists of PhP scripts and an SQL database to generate
worksheets, flashcards, and wallcharts.  The database is simple and contains
only a couple of tables defining the words, levels and weeks of study, and
phonics rules under which they are grouped.  The database is MySQL, but the PhP
scripts use Pear:DB, so changeover should be trivial.  About 250 original
graphics of vocabulary had been completed, but was lost and backup was
corrupted.  Only about 30% remain, but we will continue to produce them.
This program is in current use.  The word list will continue to be restructured
as we encounter problems, materials will be produced as time permits, and,
eventually, there should be readers available for all the levels.

Other Software Required:
PhP v.4.2+ with Pear:DB
SQL database (currently MySQL)
A non-text browser.

Other Comments:
I will email a tar archive of what we currently have.  Beware of the
possibility of blindage!

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/