Re: [Savannah-hackers] Migrating to ost::String

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Migrating to ost::String
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 23:51:59 +0100

This is the support for Savannah.gnu.org.

Please send this request to the appropriate mailing-list.

--
Sylvain

On 2004.03.25 23:28, Erik Ch. Ohrnberger wrote:
    I've got a gtkmm-2.2 application that stores it's data in the ost
persistent streams. To date, I've been using the 1.0.x version of the
common
C++ library for this persistence function.

    I've noticed that in the 1.0.x versions of the library, the
exceptions
for persistent streams basically don't work and the application just
calls
abort(). So, I figure that it's time to upgrade.

    While porting to the new version of the library, I notice that
there is
a ost::String class, which is the only way to get strings in and out
of the
persistent streams.

    However, the gtkmm library is designed to integrate nicely with
std::string.

    What's the best way to integrate the two packages so that they
work
nicely with each other?

    I was considering writing a number of global type conversion
operators,
but that didn't seem to work pretty well.

    Then I thought that I should create my own sub-class off of
ost::String
to add the additional type conversion operators that I needed to
convert to
std::string when needed in a nice, quite, and clean manner. But this
appears
not to work nicely either.

    I'm open to suggestions.

    Thanks,