[Savannah-hackers] submission of x86test - bootable x86 CPU identifictio

From: s0127942
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of x86test - bootable x86 CPU identifiction - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 13:39:05 -0500

Neil Phillips <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License:
Package: x86test - bootable x86 CPU identifiction
System name: x86test
Type: non-GNU

x86test - bootable x86 CPU identification and reporting

x86test is a utility to display information about the CPU in an
x86/PC system. It is bootable -- it doesn't run on any operating
system -- and is currently enirely written in assembler (AT&T / GNU
as syntax).

There are several reaons for x86test being bootable:
    * complete OS independance.
    * Some tests are impossible (insane?) from a modern OS e.g.
      resetting the CPU!
    * Complete control of interrupts allows very accurate timing of
      clock frequencies etc.
    * it can safely be run when you are unsure of system stability.

x86test is simple to load either using my own simple floppy disk
bootloader, 'fatload', directly from an El Torito CDROM or using a
linux loader such as LILO. I would also like to make x86test
Multiboot compatible.

in the future x86test might be developed to detect other hardware,
although I don't have any specific plans.

There are many non-free diagnostic tools that provide similar
facilities, although few appear to cater extensively for the whole
range of x86 CPUs. Although there is much descriptive information
available freely about identification the only wide-ranging free
implementations I have found are in OS kernels (e.g. linux), where
their goal is primarily just to set up the CPU(s) as is most
appropriate for that OS rather than providing as much information
as possible.

I have been working on x86test for some time now, and it is quite
functional. I don't have a release available online, but I would
be happy to e-mail current versions of x86test and fatload.

Other Software Required:
none

only tested building with GNU make,gcc,as,ld

Other Comments:

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/