[Savannah-hackers] submission of The Abstract Packaging Tool - savannah.

From: devianand_inet
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of The Abstract Packaging Tool - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 01:48:16 -0400

Anand Murugesan <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License:
Package: The Abstract Packaging Tool
System name: jpack
Type: non-GNU

Problem Statement:
Currently the Installer development community of the software industry is
bogged down by the complexity and diversity of the software packaging standards
and tools that exists in different operating systems.
For solaris, we have Solaris Packages. For linux, we have RPM's and more. For
Windows we have MSI and what not. So, the software package developer needs to
be an expert in all these operating systems and also needs to re-code his
software packages for every operating system he is willing to distribute his
software on. This is a time consuming and painful process.  With the advent of
Java, programers are able to make ups of the "write once and run anywhere"
paradigm.  But, its not true with the software packaging technologies that are
around today for various operating systems.  The Software packaging
technologies like Solaris SVR4 packages, Windows MSIs and Linux RPMs are quite
complicated and requires indepth knowledge to develop these.

Proposed Solution :
"JPack" is an initiative to develop a Java and XML bases software packaging
abstract layer.  The developers can abstract out their sofware packages using
XML package descriptors.  Java and XML based framework or tool thats proposed
here, can process these XML based abstract packages to generate the platform
dependent software packages.  We can convert the platform neutral abstract
software packages  into any platform specific software package.

This alleviates the pain the software programmers has to go through in
mastering all these software packaging technologies.  Developers can spend time
in actually developing the software in a platform neutral way, than worrying
about packging them.

The Abstract Package can be defined using an XML file called the package
schema.  The schema will be constantly evolving.  But it needs  to be backward
compatible, like the JDK.

Right now only 3 software package formats are identified to be implemented.
Solaris SVR4, RPM and MSI.  It future, this list will grow depending on the
demand and the contributes.

Other Software Required:
JDK and XML parser (perferably JAXB)

Other Comments:
This project is at its inception phase.  I am shopping for somebody to host my
project.

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/