Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Savannah - Next Generation - savann

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Savannah - Next Generation - savannah.gnu.org
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 13:34:10 +0200

Elfyn McBratney wrote:
I've submitted this project so we have a place to store our changes to the Savane code, new features, GForge stuff (for when we migrate), Sylvain's bric-a-brac docs, &c in a single location. I was going to branch out the savannah repo for this, but I thought It'd be nice to preserve it's history :)

OK to approve?  Yay?  Nay?

Since nobody gave any valid reason to move to GForge, I am still opposed to that. I am still waiting an answer from Bradley and the sysadmins to an e-mail I sent twice at the end of the migration/merging discussion.

My bric-à-brac (plus "hacking savannah.gnu.org") should be kept private for now because I am not sure at what point some information should be kept private, hence why the CVS repos is at svadmin and not in the savannah project.

I planned to make a branch in the savannah project, from DEV_2003-09- 05_CERN, using a DEV_2004-05-XX_GNU name. CVS already allows us to keep the history of the project. The goal is to find each non-commited change in our installation and commit them to the branch. Before, we have to move each 'cvs co' present in the system to the new branch. Then we have to make our installation clean and well configured, so that we can 'make install' to apply our changes - I think it is the cleanest way to update all the components of the installation, which are in several places and with some changes from the source form.

I am planning to do that on my test install but I lacked the time to finish it. Changing the branch used by a working copy containing non- commited changes may be a bit tricky, so we have to be sure of what we do.

As far as I am concerned, I think it is selfish from us to accept all kind of projects only for the FSF (they are displayed on the home page), so we should not approve any project unless for testing until everything is ok.

--
Sylvain