[Savannah-hackers] Re: Misleading Savannah documentation.

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Misleading Savannah documentation.
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 11:29:15 +0200

(Actually I eventually found your e-mail, no need to resend it)

The documentation should indeed be completed to make the difference between the two download areas.

However, keeping the 2 'download areas' for GNU projects appears interesting to me, since is an official FSF download location, with strict rules on what to upload. In particular, I think you cannot delete old releases.

The Savannah download area can be used for any purpose, and we plan to provide more control on it, including a web interface to manage files, and if possible a rsync access.

Dale Mellor wrote:
Sorry to be taking your time up like this, but...

Well, this is hugely misleading. I have down as
download site in Savannah, and whenever I read any of the
i.e. FAQ, it says that files uploaded to get
copied to `the download site'.

Specifically, when I look at the main admin page and scroll down to
the files
admin section, it gives this URL and points to the FAQ; the FAQ does
not mention
the URL of the download area.

FWIW, as the CVS web directory is copied out to, I really think I should expect the
upload area to be copied to

Anyway, thanks for the reference, I'll follow the instructions there.