[Savannah-hackers] submission of Free Blasters - savannah.nongnu.org

From: heretik
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Free Blasters - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2004 13:45:32 -0400

Damien Laniel <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License:
Package: Free Blasters
System name: freeblasters
Type: non-GNU

Our project :

This project is a Free software project, _not_ part of the GNU project.

Our game :

Freeblasters will be a multiplayer, 2D action game like metal slug in some
ways. The context is a war between Free sotware and Proprietary software
(classical stuff ;) ). Its main characters will be Free software mascots like
Tux, Beastie and a gnu ;). The optionnal main characters are symbolics of
proprietary software, optionnal because this might change if we encounter law
problems with this.

The goal of our game is to be a fun and addictive game for the Free community.

More technical stuff :

Our game is developped in C++ and uses Clanlib framework
<http://www.clanlib.org> which is released under the LGPL.
We don't have any code of the game yet because we are still designing it.
The only code we have is the web site sources
<http://cedrelek.homelinux.com/freeblasters/download/freeblasters_www.tar.bz2>

Our main developpement platform is Debian GNU/Linux and our primary supported
platform is GNU/Linux. Ports to *BSD and even Microsoft Windows may be done
later.
Debian packages will be provided.

External tools we use include subversion and autotools.
We only use free software to write the code, make the images and so on
But we may accept some contributions made with proprietary software, provided
the files are in a patent-free format.

Our web site :

http://cedrelek.homelinux.com/freeblasters/index.php
It doesn't have much content yet, but already a good xhtml 1.1 / css 2
structure.

File formats :

Our image files are made with gimp, saved as png.
Our music files are ogg files.
Our sound files are wav files.

Licensing :

Our project will be released under the GPL license

As we take care a lot of licensing problems, we make sure every files we use
but don't make, including data files like images or music, are totally Free to
use.

Other Software Required:
Our game depends only on Clanlib framework <http://www.clanlib.org> which is
released under the LGPL.

Other Comments:
About us : we are 4 french students in computer science

About our hosting : we don't need a cvs repository because we use subversion.
Why we want to register on savannah is for the other stuff, like permanent web
site hosting and mailing lists.

By the way, it may not be the place for a question but : do you consider adding
support for subversion ? If so, we would prefer to host all the project files
on Savannah because it's more reliable than our home-made server we use for now.

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/