[Savannah-hackers] Re: GNU arch support

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: GNU arch support
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 23:58:30 +0200

Your e-mail is really cleverly worded in order to make us start yet another palaver (failure). It is also cleverly worded in order to make all of us mad at you (success).

Anyway.

Note that the discussions you read about GForge are not representative of what we think now, since most discussion happened privately. Anyway, we do not want to waste time discussing or installing GForge at Savannah.

Your suggestions have two main issues:
- several things are off-topic,
- keep in mind that installing is different than updating/migrating.

Back to arch:

Why don't you send me a copy of the terse/incomplete document you have
now and I can spend a little time understanding the system AS IT IS.

Feel free to have a look at:
http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/savannah/docs/hacking_savannah/

It seems the work consists of:
- setting up securely sftp:
 * we could borrow Gna!'s shell wrapper for shell restrictions,
* find a per-project chroot model for Arch repositories, possibly generic enough to be applied to download areas (some people would really want the old rsync back), - have some of the Savannah hackers learn how to use and administer Arch, so as to reply to support requests,
- possibly install a PQM,
- complete the Savannah project creation scripts with Arch repository/accounts/access/whatever setup, with the prerequisite of being able to do so either included in the latest version of Savane, or by modifying it so we can add external additional code, allowing us to keep updating Savane,
- install a ViewCVS equivalent (if available and necessary),
- write some documentation and recommand some GUIs (if available),
- (explain how to || create an automated process for) migrating CVS to Arch (abeilt we certainly cannot force people to use Arch right now) - have Savane deal with more than one kind of archives in the web frontend.

Suggestions?

> Also, who is the "people that had ARCH working before"?
-You- were one of the people, no? =^)

Seems not - at least if you were talking about the previous Savannah hackers team, that now completely left. I am here since February.

I have been extremely interested in helping Savannah accept new
projects since I submitted a project in January and explicitly
offered to help in February.

Where did you sent it? I didn't found it...

--
Sylvain