Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Savannah Projects Approval

From: Rudy Gevaert
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Savannah Projects Approval
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 13:26:58 -0400

On Thu, Jul 29, 2004 at 10:15:26AM +0200, Iv?n Garc?a Alcaide wrote:

> Well, what I mean is that I want my project to be free under GPL (that's
> clear :-) ). What I will do is to follow free specifications of Java
> language and, if necessary, totally free libraries. What I can not
> ensure is that there is a free JVM and compiler able to run the project.
> I can not ensure it because of two main reasons:
>
>  - I don't know how complete are free JVMs like Japhar or Sable.
>
>  - I don't know how complete is classpath project (or any other free
> implementation of j2sdk 1.4 classes).
>
> So, in case that I follow a free specification but not implemented by a
> free project, is it considered a project that cannot be run under a free
> java suite?.

Sadly, yes...

>  If the answer is yes, It would be better not to use
> savannah because of the risk. What I mean is, what happen if I use a
> method of j2sdk 1.4 that it is not implemented by classpath project
> neither any other similar free project?.

The only thing that happens, is that people have to use non-Free
software to run Free software.  We at Savannah only host software that
can run on a totally Free Software system.

Kind regards,

Web page                    http://www.webworm.org
GNU/Linux for schools       http://www.nongnu.org/glms
Savannah hacker             http://savannah.gnu.org