[Savannah-hackers] Re: [gnu.org #206952] GPL compatibility

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: [gnu.org #206952] GPL compatibility
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2004 11:08:59 +0200

Hello,

On 2004.08.04 19:06 address@hidden via RT wrote:
On Thu, 2004-07-29 at 19:05, Sylvain Beucler via RT wrote:
> Thanks again.
>
> I have a last question: I adviced the author with several
> possibilities, including adding a notice allowing linking his GPL
> program with MAPM.
>
> I found such a notice from project OpenSSL:
> http://www.openssl.org/support/faq.html#LEGAL2
>
> However, I would like to confirm Scicalc's author could use a
similar
> notice to allow his GPL program to use MAPM. I do not 100% trust
this
> FAQ, since I find assuming that OpenSSL is part of the operating
system
> is a weak argument.

I'm not sure what FSF's position on OpenSSL and the major components
exception is.  I do know that if you want your program to be portable
to Windows, where OpenSSL *definitely* isn't normally distributed, you
should use an exception.

> The GPL FAQ contains a similar statements, but aimed at
communication
> between two libraries through a given interface.

Note that for incompatible licenses, you may need permissions both
ways.  For example, for Gnuplot, you would need permission to
distribute modified versions in non-patch forms.

Do we need an exception if it is only a dependency (ie the user will not release a modified version of MAPM)?

If yes, does the exception from MAPM (Gnuplot in your example) has to mention SciCalc only, or any software?

Thanks,

--
Sylvain