Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Savannah Projects Approval

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Savannah Projects Approval
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2004 11:18:32 +0200

BlueEyed OS

Project Admins:
Guillaume Maillard <address@hidden> ;

Registration Date:
Sun 01/25/2004 at 19:59

System Group Name:
blueos

Submitted Description:

The project is mainly a creation of a new operating system based on
a linux kernel. It has a complete C++ API and a multithreaded
approach which result of impressive performance. It comes from a
closed source project which is now LGPL. You can look at
http://www.BlueEyedOS.com for more informatique. A snapshot of the
source code is available at:
http://blueos.free.fr/BEOS_250503.tar.gz

Required software:
libjpeg linux kernel gcc

Other comments:

We do not host distributions of operating systems, mainly because of
space and bandwidth constraints. Also, we prefer to have an
aggregation of work split into different projects.

However, your project seems pretty small, and I am not sure on whether
it could be easily split into different projects.

Let's say that if you think your project will stay as small (< 10M) as
is it now, it will not worth splitting it.

I see that your project contains a lot of separate projects. If some
of them are available somewhere else, and unless you are their current
maintainer, maybe it would be better not to host them at Savannah (you
could still include them in releases). I mainly think of the code
examples, and the 'stubgen' tool.

Can you detail that point so we can decide whether or not to split the project into several accounts?

On to licensing issues:

Before releasing your project under the LGPL, please place
copyright notices and permission to copy statements at the beginning
of every file of source code. In addition, if you haven't already, please copy a copy of the plain
text version of the LGPL, available from
(http://www.gnu.org/licenses/lgpl.txt), into a file named "COPYING".

Additional instructions are available from
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.html.

The GPL FAQ explains why these procedures must be followed.  To learn
why a copy of the LGPL must be included with every copy of the code,
for example, go to
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#WhyMustIInclude

Some files owned by Be, Inc, do not have clear notice statement (only a
copyright statement), for example those in headers/be. Can you add a
license notice to these files, so we can check for (L)GPL-compatiblity
issues?

FlexLexer.h in headers/gnu is released under the old BSD license,
which is incompatible with the GPL. All files (C) The Regents of the
University of California should now be available under a modified BSD
license that removes the old-fanishioned and problematic advertising
clause. Please replace this file with one released under a
GPL-compatible license.

We also need to know the license of ttfonts.

Files under the Be Sample Code License (and marked as such) are
compatible with the (L)GPL and do not need additional work.

There are a lot of other files that miss license and copyright notices. Please fix those. Keep in mind that:
1) we only host code compatible with the GNU GPL
2) we will check all your source files :)
3) I used the old tarball you uploaded at your free.fr account. If you have an updated version (even non functional), please send it.

Sylvain